Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Evil thorns and biker baffoons


Aug 31, 2009
I delayed my start time today so that I could visit the bike shop. I have had two flat tires and my confidence is wavering. The flats were caused by a thorn, referred to as a goat head. I refer to it as the evil thorn.

The tire was changed out with my spare. The spare is made of Kevlar~same stuff they use to make bullet proof vests. It will probably slow me down a bit because of the knobbies on the tire. I also had a thick rubber liner put in between the tube and the tire. I think I'm thorn proof now. I also have two new spares plus my patched up spares. I am thorn ready!

My late start put me on the road for the hottest part of the day. (It's been well over 90 each day). Not a cloud in the sky and not a tree to be found.

From Walla Walla, WA I went to Waitsburg, WA then to Dayton, WA. At Dayton I had to
either stay or push on to Pomeroy. I decided to push on knowing I might not get there till after 7 pm. The ride was rolling hills of freshly harvested wheat and barley.

Once I arrived in Pomeroy (population 1,517) it was 7:30 pm. I decided to eat dinner at a restaurant, find the campground, pitch the tent and call it a day.

Only restaurant open was a "biker bar". I talked with the chief cook and bottlewasher standing outside the door. She assured me the food was good.. Another patron held the door open allowing me to bring my bike inside. Not much going on~maybe six people total inside. As promised, the food was good.

Once back outside it was not dark. I put on my rear flasher and front light to find the fairgrounds to pitch the tent.

Each town has an annual fair. It's thee annual event to the locals. All the farmers bring their prize bull, cow, horse, sheep, peach, apple, wine, you name it, for display. When the fair isn't going on you can use the grounds to camp. Bathrooms and showers are available.

I pitched my tent on cushy grass near the bathrooms and showers. Pitched the tent in the dark. Locked up the bike and headed to the showers. The showers had MOM over one door and POP over the other. I chose the MOM door.

After my shower I wrapped myself in a towel. I was brushing my teeth over the sink when some biker dud comes in to use the shower. One look at me and he apologized profusely and backed out the door.

A couple of things came to mind:
He can't read
He doesn't equate MOM with women
Bikers aren't the macho men they would have you beleive they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment