Before I get started on Sunday's ride, let's talk about last night (Saturday). I stayed at an RV/camp ground. It was a nice enough place. Cushy green grass to pitch the tent.
I have a bit of a phobia about my bide getting stolen. Each night I secure it. This night was no different. That night I slept more soundly than prevous nights. At 3:30 am I woke with a start. I heard click, click, click - like the sound the chain makes when you are walking it. I quickly unzipped my tent to see the bike securely fastened and a million sprinkler heads clicking away watering the cushy green grass!
Sunday was another hot flat day. I passed by Hat Rock. It is one of several volcanic plugs that resisted erosion during the Spokane Flood and was noted by Capt. William Clark. The Spokane Flood is the greatest known flood in earth history.
Later I passed a road (there are not many roads off these routes so you remember the ones you do pass) where you could go to the state prision, the state beach and see a historic landmark - all on the same road. Now if you had some one in the slammer, you could make the day of it!
I rode US730 the US12. On route 730 I am in the vicinity of Walla Walla Gap where the Columbia River cuts through the Horse Heaven Hills. This is at the southern end of western Washington's "Channeled Scablands", a deeply scarred landscape largely void of vegetation that resulted from the Spokane Flood.
The flood occurred between 18,000 and 20,000 years ago, was the culmination of a unique meeting of geoligical and meterological phenomena: A series of widespread lava flows, then a regional down-tilting of the landscape, followed by the deposition of a thick layer of wind-blown silt known as loess.
After the scablands there is a long line of wind turbines. There are over 400 of them and they are part of the Stateline Wind Project.
My final destination is 330 S. Palouse St. Walla Walla, Washington. Here I am hosted by Dan Calzaretta. He and his family are part of Warmshowers.org. They open their home to me, giving me a bed, access to a shower and laundry. Their family of four biked across America last year. He is a teacher. His wife, Alison, is a peditrician. Throughout their home they have this sign posted:
From this joyful home
We go forth to be
loyal, responsible, couragous leaders.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment