Today is a hot one. Luckily most of my ride is in the shade. An early start got me to the Vista House. The house was built in 1917. It has one of the best views in the entire Columbia Gorge.
I stopped frequently once I was on the Historic Columbia River High Way. There are many hiking trails and spectacular water falls to see. Mulnoniah Falls claims to be the second highest in the US. I hiked into the Oninina (sp?) gorge. To get there you have to wade through icy water, climb over a huge log and bolder dam and wade through more water. Once you get over that barrier you are at the bottom of a gorge that is about 25 feet wide. Just beautiful.
After riding on the Interstate 84 I was able to pick up a bike trail. No fun riding on an interstate. Tractor trailers here can haul three trailers. I had two trucks pass me with wind mill blades. At the end of the bike trail is a steep staircase with a grove in it for your bike. Good grief. I was glad I was going down it and not up.
I'm pecking at the keyboard in Cascade Locks, OR. The one room library is in the building that contains the "city" hall, a basketball gym and the library. Pretty hookie. I have about another ten miles to go and one decent size hill. Then I pitch my tent at Viento State Park.
No comments:
Post a Comment