I got myself going early this morning ~ 4:30 am and was on the road by 5:50. I discarded anything that was not needed to lighten the load up the mountain. Kinda of felt like I was trying to save a sinking ship. The four bagels that wouldn't get eaten, stove fuel that wouldn't be burned, the paper book novel I finished ~ all trashed.
My hope was the mountain grade was over exaggerated like the rest of the grades seemed to have been on the map. Morning is my best time for a challenge, so off I went.
The first 7 miles there was a noticeable incline. I used the middle gear and averaged about 8 miles per hour. It's the Sunday before Labor day and there is virtually no traffic.
When I came to the sign requiring chains on trucks when the lights are flashing and another sign indicating a passing lane, I knew the steepest part was in front of me.
The climb was steep and steady for six miles. It took me about 1.5 hours to get to the top ~ Lolo pass. (Cole they named a mountain pass after your auntie!) I pedaled, walked some, stopped some. It was cloudy with fog sinking in the valley/gulch far below. The adjoining mountains were either thick with vivid green pine, or barren from logging.
The top of the mountain is Lolo Pass with an elevation of 5,225 feet. In 13 miles I climbed 1,900 feet. There is a real nice visitor station on top run by the National Forest Service. Bathrooms, coffee, internet, helpful staff, loads of information. I hung out here for a good hour.
After leaving the center's parking lot I immediately cross the state line leaving Idaho and entering Montana. I also cross a time zone. (trivia ~ Idaho is a state that has two different time zones.)
From here it is 23 miles down hill. Yee haa!!
There is a noticeable difference in the land scape. The rock formations are softer, like the wind has worn them away. There are no sharp edges. Every thing is rounded and curved.
There is space. There is the river, road and flat land between the mountains. Previously, I was riding next to the river or next to a rock ledge. It is also colder. Not sure if that is because of the weather front that pushed through or that is just how it is.
I passed through Lolo Springs. There are actually hot springs in the area. Then I come through an area with large log cabin homes with acreage. Looks like people who own these places want to appear to be ranchers but is all for show.
I can tell Missoula is coming up as I hit the trailer home parks. Missoula is considered a college town and is home to the University of Montana. I will be staying in Missoula for two days.
It is quieter than normal downtown as it is after 5 on a Sunday. I am able to buy wine at a grocery store on a Sunday. The selection is very good. They do have package stores here but with a different twist. The package stores are also casinos and there is one on every corner.
I am struck by the number of homeless people, most of them young - 16-25 years old. By their faces I would guess the root of the problem is dug related. I see a bill board that says drug abuse cost $388 million tax dollars in the state of Montana. I think it is a low number from what little I have seen or the state is not providing adequate services.
I have travelled a total distance of 627 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment