Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Short day





September 1, 2009

I had breakfast at the local old guys hang out. All the talk was about the old Walmart closing today in Lewiston, ID and the new Super Walmart opening tomorrow in the next town over, Clarkston, WA. Conversation moved to wolf hunting, and best place for fish for sturgeon.

One of the "old guys" was the overseerer of the fairgrounds. I told him I had stayed there and wanted to know the fee so I could pay for the use of the facilities. There was no fee unless I was a motorhome. How about that.

Later on my ride I waved at him going the otherway. He was returning from Walmart.

Today featured the longest and steepest hill yet. It was about 3 miles long with a 750 foot change in elevation. I knew I was in for a haul. At the base of the hill was a trunoff for trucks to put chains on. Then there was a passing lane on the up side. And I had my first experience with head winds.

I did make the summit of Alpowai. Then it was a 10 mile desent. I was glad I came up the shorter distance.

Near the bottom, route 12 follows the Snake River. I found a convinent place to pull off and walk into the river to cool my feet.

Once in Clarkston, I booked a room for two nights. Tomorrow I am booked for an all day jet boat ride down the Snake River.

I have put on 401 miles on the odometer since landing in Portland.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are having an amazing adventure. You are truly a brave women!

    ReplyDelete