Today will take me from Kooskia to Lowell. I'm pretty sure I remember some decent climbs on the map. None came. It was a steady grade up. I would shift in and out of the big gear.
There was very little traffic. The river was on my right as I continued on twisting U.S. Highway 12. Surroundings in this wilderness corridor are spectacular: a medley of bright-green grasses and ferns, subdued forests of mixed conifers, sunlight dancing off the bubbling river, boulders makein "v's" in the current. One fascinating man-mad feature was the roadside gondolas that takes people across the river on stout cables to their private residence. (The picture that is sideways).
There was a lot of road work being done whichwas fine with me. It kept traffic slower and more spaced. There were two or three times I needed to follow a "pace" car throught the construction sites.
I camped in a National Park camp site. No showers. So i opted for a sponge bath in the river..
No comments:
Post a Comment